DR. ASHOK UKABHAI VALA
DR. JINESHKUMAR PARMAR
Before establissment of Medical college,Bhavnagar,Psychiatric service in Sir T.Hospital,Bhavnagar were provided by visiting Psychiatrist from Mental Hospital,Ahmedabad in form of OPD once in 15 days for about 1 year and thenafter by Honorory Psychiatrist from Bhavnagar in form of OPD ,twice in a week for about 10 years. Regular Psychiatric department of Medical College,Bhavnagar came into existence with appointment of Assistant professor of Psychiatry in Medical College,Bhavnagar in 1997-MAY.
Currently in Departement of psychiatry have one Professor, One Associate professor and One Assistant professor as faculties. Anual intake of three M.D. Psychiatry. Deaprtment of psychiatry provides daily Outdoor patient services with one unit of indoor patient ward having 40 beds capacity.
Department of psychiatry provieds Indoor and outdoor Electroconvulsive therapy, Electroencephalography & Biofeedback services.
Department of psychiatry have one clinical psychologist for Psychological evaluation.
Department of psychiatry have two psychiatry social workers they help patients.
6 days a week Monday to Saturday 9.00AM to 1.00PM, 5.00PM to 7.00PM
Gen Psychaitry,CGC(Child Guidance Clinic),Deaddiction Clinic
General Psychiatry and deaddiction
Recreation Facilites & Education
Group Therapy for alcohol User
Dr.R.C.Maniyar Best Paper Awareded To. Dr. saurabh Shah At Saputara Gujarat State conference of Indian Psychiatry Society 2011
Dr.R.C.Maniyar Best Paper Awareded To. Dr. saurabh Shah At Saputara Gujarat State conference of Indian Psychiatry Society 2011. " Delirium under diagnosed in Geriatric medically ill."
Best paper in free paper session
Association of social anxiety disorder with depression and quality of life among medical undergraduate students
By Dr. Imran Ratnani And Dr. Smruti Karambelkar at annual conference of Indian Psychiatric Society Gujarat state branch at Ganpatiphule Maharastra
in August 2014.
2. Rum ination Disord er in an A dult: A C ase R eport Ela v atsala S harm a
Deepak T iw ari Bharat P anchal ,Indian Psychiatric Society Western Zonal Branch
Volume 10, No.2, October 2009
1. Delirium in geriatric medically ill Deepak Tiwari, Bharat Panchal
Jaladhi Trivedi, Saurabh Shah, Ela Sharma, Indian Psychiatric Society
Western Zonal Branch Volume 14, No.2, October 20
Undergraduate curriculum in Psychiatry consist of 25 theory lectures,each of 45 minutes taken in 8th and 9th semesters.i.e .3 MBBS,2 year.
The topic covered are introduction to Psychiatry,History taking and mental state examination,signs symptoms in Psychiatry,common Psychiatric disorders,organic psuchiatry,treatment methods in Psychiatry,legal Psychiatry and ethics.Clinical teaching is done for 4 weeks(devided into 2 weeks posting-twice)-3 hours each day.
It consists of demonstration of signs,history taking.
Mental state examination through demonstration,actual interview by students of patients,role-play etc.and diagnostic formulation.
Department has participated in organization of street plays on Smoking Cessation in Sir Takhtsinhji Hospital Campus,Bhavnagar and Medical College,Bhavnagar.
A theory exam.is conducted at the end of theory lecture programme.It is a exam.consisting of MCQ(50 marks), shortnotes(40 marks) and attendance(10 marks) (total 100 marks).Theory marks are counted for internal in 3rd MBBS (final year).
Practical exam is taken as ward examination at the end of each clinical posting.It carries 100 marks. Marks are counted for internal marks in Medicine (in 3rd MBBS/final year).Download
|Department of Psychiatry|
DR. ASHOK UKABHAI VALA
DR. JINESHKUMAR PARMAR
1. Shah SN, Panchal BN, Tiwari DS, Vala A. Study of factors related to readmission in psychotic and mood disorder. Depression. 2013 Jan 1;2:3-7.
2. Rabari P, Jamliya M, Mehta HB, Vala A, Gandhi P, Zinzala G. Effects Of Generalized Anxiety Disorder On Heart Rate Variability. Society of Basic and Applied Physiology.;4:203.
3. Mehta JR, Ratnani IJ, Dave JD, Panchal BN, Patel AK, Vala AU. Association of psychiatric co-morbidities and quality of life with severity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. East Asian Archives of Psychiatry. 2014 Dec;24(4):148-55.
4. Ratnani IJ, Panchal BN, Tiwari DS, Vala AU. Association of panic disorder with quality of life among individuals with headache. East Asian Archives of Psychiatry. 2014 Mar;24(1):10-5.
5. Karelia J, Vala A, Parmar MC. A Study of Phenomenology of Panic Disorder & Assessment of Severity & Comorbidity of Panic Disorder. National Journal of Integrated Research in Medicine. 2014 Mar 1;5(2).
6. Raval CM, Tiwari DS, Panchal BN, Vala AU. Typical neuroleptic malignant syndrome presented in patient on maintenance quetiapine. Indian journal of psychological medicine. 2014 Jan;36(1):88-90.
7. Raval CM, Panchal BN, Tiwari DS, Vala AU, Bhatt RB. Prevalence of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder among college students of Bhavnagar, Gujarat. Indian Journal of psychiatry. 2016 Apr;58(2):164.