Department was established in 1995 in old building in sir takhtasinhji hospital campus with annual intake capacity of 50 students. In march 2000 department was shifted to newly constructed spacious college building near state transport depot. Department is located on fourth floor. In the academic year 2006-07 with permission of medical council of india intake capacity is raised to 100 students per year. In the academic year 2012-13 with permission of medical council of india intake capacity is raised to 200 students per year.
Department also participate in teaching laboratory methods in physiology to students of medical laboratory technicians training course run by directorate of medical education and research, Govt. of Gujarat for in-service and outside candidates. Department was also permitted to start post graduate (MD) course in Physiology with intake capacity of 4 candidates per year w.e.f. 2007 which was recognized by MCI in 2010. In the same year department was permitted to increase 1 post graduate seat each under professor and additional professor. Accordingly dept. gave admission to 5 candidates in the year 2010 and 6 candidates from the year 2011.
Head of the Department
|Academic Year||Head of the Department|
|19-7-95 to 15-7-96||DR. N. P. GOPINATH|
|15-7-96 to 18-2-97||DR. R. C. SHAH|
|18-2-97 to 9-5-97||DR. N. P. GOPINATH|
|10-5-97 to 3-9-97||DR.(MRS.)G. K. HATHI|
|3-9-97 to 25-9-98||DR.(MRS.) S. CHANDWANI|
|25-9-98 to 30-4-00||DR. N. P. GOPINATH|
|1-5-00 to 5-1-01||DR. H. B. MEHTA|
|6-1-01 to 10-9-01||DR. RAVI SAXENA|
|11-9-01 to 30-04-18||DR. H. B. MEHTA|
|01-5-18 onwards||DR. CHINMAY SHAH|
- Lecture hall and two demonstration rooms of required capacity and equipped with audiovisual aids.
- Well equipped hematology, clinical physiology, amphibian physiology, mammalian physiology and research laboratory with adequate seating capacity and preparation rooms, smoking and varnishing room, dark room for ophthalmoscopy etc
- Offices for teaching and paramedical staff
- Departmental library, seminar room, museum, store room
- Possess departmental animal room over and above the central animal house with breading and experimental facility
- Department has dedicated broadband connection with membership to govt. of Gujarat virtual library project through which hundreds of journals and books are accessible online
- Department has dedicated fulltime faculties (as private practice of any kind is not permissible as per recruitment rules of Govt.of Gujarat).department has adequate number of teaching faculties as per medical council of India guidelines to maintain teacher: student ratio to 1:10.